Are you dreaming of something more, something better, something amazing for your life? If you’ve got vision and big ideas, today is best the time to get it on paper, before the dream fades or finds its place on the backburner. Writing out your ideas is step number one. It’s the first step in breathing life into your dream.
When it comes to your wildest dreams, finding clarity and getting into action can feel daunting. After all, these are the big, life-changers, so how do you even make a start on something so grand?
Below are three of my favourite, easy (because we like easy) methods, to go from dreaming to doing.
#1. See yourself in the future and break it down
This one’s for you if you want your goal-setting to be fun and easy. Based on Rachel Hollis’ 10:10:1 rule, turning your beautiful dream of a better future into actionable goals doesn’t get much easier than this. Here’s how it works:
- Imagine your ideal life 10 years from now. Really go there and dream it up in all its detail without holding back. Where do you live? What do you look like? How do you spend your days? How much money do you make? Who do you spend time with? What work do you do? How’s your health? How do you feel?
- Write down ten dreams that must come true for this ideal life to happen.
- Turn those dreams into specific, actionable goals and pick the number one, top goal to get started on.
- Tada! You are on your way.
#2. The mega-list
Another favourite is to brainstorm a mega-list of anything and everything you want to achieve in this lifetime. It goes like this:
- Put pen to paper and write down any and all ideas that pop up. Again, don’t hold back, anything is possible and at this stage, everything is allowed on the list.
- Go through your list and number each item 1, 5, 10, 20 years etc. according to the timeframe in which you want to accomplish it by. This gives you an idea of what your short, medium and long term goals are.
- Make a new list of your one year or less goals, (break it down further into 3, 6 and 12 months if you like) and pick your top goal to get started.
- Just like that, you now know where to begin.
#3. Goals by life area
If you’re more of a thorough, systematic individual, you may prefer this method to set goals in a balanced way in all areas of your life.
- Begin by compartmentalizing your life into different areas eg. relationships, work, finances, health, parenting, social, spiritual, etc.
- Think through each of these areas and write a description of how you would ideally like that part of your life to be. A mini ideal vision statement.
- Create 1-3 goals for each life area that will help you achieve your vision.
- Pick your top priority goal and get started.
It really is that easy to come up with a list of goals for your life. If you’re feeling resistance to the idea of goal-setting, start small with your focus on only the next 6-12 months. Any of the above methods can be used for a shorter time period.
Finally, don’t forget the 3 most critical goal-setting rules.
Plan from positivity. When you’re setting an intention or goal, be sure to do it from a high-vibe place of gratitude and an awesome attitude. You’re hardly going to set great goals if you’re feeling miserable or pessimistic, so get yourself in a high-energy, feel-good state before you sit down to plan out your life.
Goals must be specific and measurable. Be clear about what you want to achieve and how you will know when you’ve achieved it. Setting a goal to lose weight or make more money is neither specific nor measurable. Saying you want to drop 10 kilos before New Year or make $145,000 in the current financial year, is both. This kind of clarity allows to you make a plan for reaching your goal.
One thing at a time. Setting goals is easy but taking action can get overwhelming if you let it. So only work on one big goal at a time. Seriously, do not try and overhaul your entire life in one go. It’s a recipe for procrastination and giving up. For sure you can have a few small and ‘not too difficult’ goals on the go at the same time, like drink a green smoothie every morning and talk with 5 potential clients each week. But those big, audacious goals of yours, best to take them on one at a time so you can focus your energy and go all in.
So what are you waiting for? Put it in your calendar when you’ll do a goal-setting session and get the clarity you need to start bringing those beautiful dreams to life.
And if you want support to get into action on your big goals, so you can show up more, have a greater impact and make more money, I invite you to connect with me today. At out with the Ordinary we have retreats, programs and coaching options to help you turn your wildest dreams into your reality.
Meet Melissa Kay
A mother, lover of life, personal growth, and good coffee, Melissa has a passion for inspiring and helping others to dream big and take action. She owns and runs Out with the Ordinary Retreats and Melissa Kay Coaching where she focuses on empowerment and lasting transformation, so her clients can create a life and business they truly love.